Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tomato Based Soup

Pin It Now!
It is Coooooold here in New York so I made some soup from fresh Chicken Stock.

Ingredients:

Chicken (with bone)
cold water
onion
garlic cloves
celery
carrots
potatoes
ham (I used ham steaks)
crushed tomatoes
peas (fresh or frozen, I used frozen)
garlic powder
salt
black pepper (if you desire, I don't like it so I don't use it)
rice (white or brown or any rice of your choice)

Sorry if you hear what sounds like a war zone in the background.  I'm not filming from a remote area, I'm in New York.  What you hear is my hubby playing a video game. Also, when I find my tripod, which disappeared with my move in August, or when I buy a new one, it will be easier to film.  I did the best I could while holding the camera, but you get the gist.  

Wash chicken and place in large pot.  Cover with cold water, don't add too much water or you won't have any flavor, just enough to cover the chicken. Bring to boil then simmer until chicken is falling off bone.  Keep partially covered so fluid doesn't evaporate, however. Never cover tightly, leave a small gap so that it doesn't get too watery.  Remove chicken and put liquid in refrigerator, most likely overnight.  When the fat is cold on top, remove the fat using a slotted spoon.  Reheat stock, bring to boil, then simmer on low.

Clean, peel and chop all vegetables and seasonings.  Place in frying pan with a small amount of either cooking spray and butter or olive oil and butter. (I learned the frying pan method from Laura Vitale of Laura In The Kitchen, a great cooking show on Youtube). Cook vegetables on medium, stirring often.  Season with salt and garlic powder, be careful with the salt as the ham you will add will probably be salty, you don't want to over do it.


Cook ham steak in frying pan on medium, just until warm.  Cut into small pieces and add to soup.

Let soup simmer for a while, then add in the can of crushed tomatoes.  Let it continue to simmer.  Once veggies are softening, add your frozen peas, as you don't want them to turn to mush.  Chop chicken into small pieces and add.  As they are cooking, cook your rice. Add to soup.  Serve and enjoy!


Chicken stock warming after fat was removed.  Frying pan with a small
amount of olive oil and butter

onion and garlic

let stock come to a boil and boil down a bit for flavor

chop onion and garlic small

chopped celery

chopped carrots

chopped potatoes

onions, garlic, celery, carrots and potatoes cooking in frying pan.  

vegetables and seasoning added to broth

cook ham steak until warm

partially cover soup, you don't want it to evaporate but you don't want it
to get too watery

chop ham steak

crushed tomatoes to add to soup

soup with crushed tomatoes

frozen peas read to be added

chicken chopped small

I used white rice today - it won't kill anyone once in a while

I cook rice in water with a little butter

finished product
I will link this recipe to Poor and Gluten Free,  Foodie Friends Friday Linky PartWhipperberryThe Chicken ChickCountrified HicksSwap N Share SundayTry A New Recipe TuesdaySaturday Dishes and One Creative Mommy.  Click on the links to check them out or check out my sidebar for various links!

If you have any questions, want tips or would just like to chat, feel free to email me at Reenepisi56@gmail.com!


Reene Pisi












For my intro click here

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for adding this to the gf collection. Hope the new year is treating you well. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day! Healthy indeed!
    Thanks for sharing at the Foodie Friends Friday Healthy Choices Party!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great and it is wheat-free, which is great for me as we are trying to go wheat-free.
    I would love for you to stop by and share on my weekly recipe link up, Kids and a Mom in the Kitchen. Here is the link to this week's linky:
    http://totsandme.blogspot.com/2014/01/kids-and-mom-in-kitchen-68-baked-oatmeal.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to share some links on your party! Thank you so much for the invite. Glad you liked the recipe.

      Delete
  4. This sounds so good! Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week. :-) http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/01/try-new-recipe-tuesday-january-14.html

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics