Monday, April 8, 2013

On The Side or Dinner For One!

Pin It Now!

One of my favorite movies.  When Harry Met Sally.  I love watching it, especially on a snowy, cold, winter day.  It adds a warm feeling, it makes the afternoon cozy.  The plot revolves around winter holidays, Christmas, New Year's Eve, cold weather in New York, when you want warm foods like soups, chilis, stews, tacos and that little extra something on the side, maybe some extra salsa and sour cream on the side or a nice piece of corn bread, a slice of Italian bread, or possibly a green veggie or potato.

As a native New Yorker, I've lived through many a frigid winter and even today, April 6th, it's still very cold.  This morning was freezing and windy.  

I love how Meg Ryan's character orders everything "on the side."   I have a friend just like her; it's hysterical.  Whenever we go out to eat, it's a fiasco.  She can never decide what she wants, then once she decides, it's a project to order and she wants everything "on the side" or she can't decide what sides she wants, hmmmmm mashed, fries, rice and then, soup or salad or both and the veggies, forget it, that's an hour long decision!  Does she want the peas and carrots, well, maybe, if there's no onions in it, but if there is, then she will have the brussels sprouts, or maybe the spinach.  But it's all in good fun, we tease her all the time!

So what are your favorite side dishes or what do you like on the side?  Here's some of mine below:

creamed cauliflower

baked potatoe

escarole

sweet potatoes with pears

salad

brown rice

baked red potato with butter and American cheese

One of my favorite dishes on the side is peppers and onions.  They make a great side with a lot of main courses, especially a juicy steak or london broil.  However, we sometimes like to eat them on the side of turkey burgers as well.

Tonight I'm making a peppers and onions dish for one, myself.  However, I'm going to have it as a main course, with red potatoes and grilled chicken!  When I cook for just myself, very often I will make only a side dish and eat that as my main meal or I will whip up something quick and easy in one pot or pan and call it a night!

Peppers, Onions, Potatoes and Chicken

Ingredients:
Olive Oil
Salt
Peppers
Red onion
Sweet onion
Red potato (any potato of your choice)
chicken (I used grilled chicken breast)

Coat the bottom of a small frying pan with a small amount of olive oil and heat on medium heat. Add onions, peppers and season with a little salt, cover.  Stir fairly often.  Wash a large potato and semi cook in microwave, just to soften it up.  Cut potato into small cubes and when peppers and onions are fairly soft, add potatoes. Cover.  Stir often.  If necessary, add a little bit more olive oil or a bit of butter.  Cook chicken ahead of time on a grill (I used my George Foreman - the chicken had been made previously.)  Cut chicken into cubes and add when everything is just about done, just to heat it up, you don't want it in too long as it will dry out.  Serve and enjoy.








So, who has some awesome sides or quick meals for one they would like to share?

I will link this recipe to Foodie Friends Friday Linky PartWhipperberryThe Chicken ChickCountrified Hicks, Swap N Share Sunday, Try a New Recipe Tuesday and One Creative Mommy.  Click on the links to check them out!




Reene Pisi












For my intro click here



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the link with us! Looks delicious...all of them!!!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics