Sunday, January 13, 2013

Stuffed Peppers

Pin It Now!
I made a stuffed peppers this morning which we will have for dinner during the week as I have a very busy week coming up.  I used the sauce I made yesterday for the stuffed peppers today.  I make the peppers various ways; sometimes I use red peppers, sometimes I use ground turkey, sometimes I add brown rice.  Today, I used ground beef and ground pork and spaghetti squash to make the stuffing.

I posted the recipe on Foodie Friends Friday!  Check it out - click here.

Prep time is approximately 20 minutes.  Check out my pictures and videos below.  Also, at the end of the post are some links to other delicious meals!

Stuffed Peppers:

Ingredients:

Peppers (red, green, yellow, orange or any combination of your choice)
spaghetti squash
ground beef
ground pork
egg
onion
garlic cloves
ketchup
mustard
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Marinara sauce (I used the sauce I made for the eggplant)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spaghetti Squash - make two slits with a large knife on two sides of the squash.  Place in microwave safe dish and cook for about 6 minutes.  This softens the squash so it is easier to slice in half.  Be careful as squash is very hot.  Hold with a clean kitchen towel and slice in half long ways.  Place squash face down in dish and cook about 8 more minutes in microwave.  If desired, you can cook the squash in the oven.  Remove seeds from squash and them pull squash from shell with a fork.  Place into a bowl then cut into small pieces.  Set aside aside.  

I made sauce for my eggplant dish (see link above and below) and I used the remainder of that sauce for this dish.  I refrigerated overnight and set out this afternoon to let it warm up a bit as it is easier to work with when it's not ice cold. 

Peppers - wash all the peppers under cold water.  Cut peppers in half, remove seeds and wash inside of peppers under cold water.  Place peppers into a baking pan that 
is lined with some sauce so food doesn't stick or burn as it cooks.  Place peppers fairly close together so that that they stay straight and don't tip onto their sides.  

You can use any type of peppers you like - red, yellow, orange, or a combination of all of the above, which I sometimes do as it makes the dish look pretty and interesting.  I do that mostly when I'm having company or bringing the dish to a gathering.  


Ground meat - I used ground beef and ground pork.  Placer all meat in large mixing bowl. Add finely chopped onion and garlic, one egg, mustard, ketchup and Parmigiano/Reggiano cheese.  Add in spaghetti squash but leave a small amount on the side to place on top later.  Mix well. It's easiest to mix with your hands.  Don't over mix as you will make the meat tough.

Once the meat is thoroughly mixed stuff into peppers.  Put a generous amount into each pepper filling the cavity completely.  Place some spaghetti squash on top of the meat and then cover with sauce.

Cover food in baking pans with aluminum foil and cook at 350 degrees. You want to cook covered so that the food doesn't dry out. Check after about 20 minutes and baste if necessary or add more sauce or a little bit of water if necessary.  Cook covered about 45 minutes total.  When the meat nice and brown and the peppers tender (check with a fork) uncover the pans and let the peppers cook another 10 to 20 minutes.  Check often, don't let it dry out or get mushy.
  








No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics