Friday, January 4, 2013

Sausage, Peppers and Onions

Pin It Now!
Sausage, peppers and onions in a red sauce (see pictures and video below) quick and easy in the crock pot   Working people are normally pressed for time what with caring for the family, the home, the pets and taking care of all the incidentals; doctor's appointments, hair cuts, dentists, never mind paying bills, grocery shopping and the like.

Yesterday, my day was spent running around lugging things in the freezing cold!  Grocery shopping is no fun in frigid temps.  Then there was banking, the gas station, and the laundry.  For someone who likes to cook but is busy, busy, it's sometimes essential to take shortcuts.  However, I don't want to sacrifice taste

Busy is one thing, throw in the occasional mishap, and you can really be in a jam.  Today my dishwasher flooded my entire kitchen, fun, fun, fun.  I often start it and leave for work - bad idea I've now discovered.  Thankfully, I was home this morning to grab bowls and towels and take control.  The plumber is working as I type.

And so, I do not have pictures or videos of the entire process, but it is easy enough.


Sausage, Peppers and Onions in a Red Sauce In the Crockpot:

Ingredients -

Sweet Italian Sausage
Olive Oil
Large Onion
Peppers - fresh or frozen (red, green, yellow or any combination of your choice)
Large can of crushed tomatoes
basil
garlic (powder or minced cloves)
salt
parsley

sausage and onions in sauce
If you don't have a crock pot, you can make it in a pot on top of the stove, you just need to watch and stir more often.

Add a small amount of olive oil to bottom of crock pot or pot, just enough to coat the bottom.  With a knife, poke holes in the casing in the sausages on both sides, so they don't explode.  Place sausages into pot.  I set my crock pot on high.

Chop onions into thin slices and add to sausage.

Add in can of sauce and season to taste with garlic, basil, salt and parsley.  Cover and let cook.

Wash, seed and slice peppers into thin slices.  Add in peppers about 2 hours before meal is done (or judge by how sausage is cooking).

As sausage cooks, you can cut links into 3's.

Serve alone or with rice or with Italian bread.  Enjoy.

sausage cut and peppers added
It's a quick and easy, yet delicious meal.

Years ago, when I was young, I used to help my grandmother can tomatoes which she grew in her garden.  They actually go into glass jars and they are preserved to be used year round.  She also grew her own basil.

These days, I just don't have the time for that, few people do.  There is no crime in taking some shortcuts.

When I cook, I always make enough for leftovers.  We can take it to work with us for lunch or have it another night as a meal.



packed up to bring to work for dinner 
The finished product.  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.  Tastes delicious.  An added benefit, the house smells so good while this is cooking.  It's especially comforting on a cold, dreary winter day such as today.


I will link this recipe to Foodie Friends Friday Linky PartWhipperberry and One Creative Mommy.  Click on the links to check them out!

Enjoy.

Reene Pisi












for my intro click here

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics