Monday, January 28, 2013

Pepper Steak

Pin It Now!
It's been bitterly cold here in New York the last week or so.  I made a big pot of homemade chicken/vegetable soup but couldn't film the process because I forgot my camera at my sister's house.  I was lost without my prized camera!

In any case, it was a lazy Sunday here at our house. So lazy, even the dog was laid out!  Check her out.  Is she not the epitome of  spoiled, living the easy life with all the comforts for her taking.  She swears the couch was strategically placed in the living room just for her.

Last night I went out to dinner with my parents and my daughter but tonight I stayed in and made a big pot of pepper steak; comfort food, perfect for a cold winter's night. I took the easy way out and some short cuts, but, hey, I deserve it once in a while.  It was delicious either way.

Pepper Steak

Ingredients:

extra virgin olive oil
beef strips
onion (fresh or frozen, I used fresh)
garlic (cloves or powder, I used cloves)
peppers (fresh or frozen, I used frozen)
basil (fresh or dried, I used fresh which I had frozen in my freezer)
red pepper
salt
crushed tomatoes


Coat the bottom of a sauce pan with a small amount of extra virgin olive oil, heat.  Add chopped onions and garlic.  Cook, stirring often on low heat until onions brown and soften a bit.  Add salt and red pepper to onions and garlic.  Add in beef.  Cook, stirring often until beef browns, turn heat up a bit if necessary, stir often.

Add in a can of crushed tomatoes.  Season with basil.  Stir and cover partially.  Let simmer on low heat, stirring so as not to burn bottom.  When the meat is fairly tender and the onions almost soft, add in peppers (if using frozen peppers)  If using fresh peppers, add in with beef.

Let mixture cook, partially covered, approximately 45 minutes to an hour, stirring fairly often.

Cook brown rice.  Serve pepper steak over brown rice.  Enjoy!












I will link this recipe to Foodie Friends Friday Linky PartWhipperberry and One Creative Mommy.  Click on the links to check them out!

1 comment:

  1. That looks so good! Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics