Friday, January 11, 2013

Turkey Meatballs With Spaghetti Squash

Pin It Now!
I grew up in a very close, loving Italian family.  We have passed traditions down from generation to generation. One of them is cooking.

I love to share my recipes and find new recipes.  Come join the Foodie Friends Friday Link Party!

My mom's spaghetti in red sauce and butter sauce
One of my favorites or "key ingredient" is tomato, as in tomato sauce. Due to dietary restrictions, diabetes and recently developed food allergies, it is impossible for me to eat tomato sauce on foods such as pizza or pasta.  However, I can still satisfy my craving by making turkey meatballs over spaghetti squash.  It is delicious.

Ingredients I avoid are all nuts and gluten.  I avoid all types of sauces, such as barbecue sauce, soy sauce, etc. due to the sugar content and ingredients such as wheat, whey, etc in the sauces. When I eat out I avoid all seasonings except fresh onions and garlic as I must be careful.  I ask for my food plain after I explain my dietary restrictions.  Every restaurant and catering facility has been more than happy to accommodate.  So, below is something delicious that I can eat.  I hope you enjoy




Turkey Meatballs and Spaghetti Squash:

Sauce
Olive Oil
chopped garlic or powdered garlic
chopped onion or onion flakes
fresh or dried basil
wine (optional)
salt (optional, I leave it out)
black pepper (optional, I leave it out as I don't like black pepper)
red pepper flakes
fresh or store bought canned tomatoes

Coat the bottom of a sauce pan with olive oil.  Fry garlic and onions until just brown.  Add in tomatoes. Add basil, wine, salt and red pepper.  Stir and simmer.  Cover pot but leave a small crack to let out the steam.

Turkey Meatballs:
93% fat free chopped meat (turkey)
garlic (fresh, chopped small or powdered)
onion (fresh, finely chopped or flakes)
red pepper flakes
egg
breadcrumb (optional - plain - I season my own when I use it for others to eat, but I leave out as I can't eat for various reasons)
milk
Parmesan cheese (optional, I leave it out)

Combine all ingredients in large bowl.  Mix well with hands.  Roll into balls. Coat bottom of frying pan with a small amount of vegetable oil.  Heat oil.  When oil is sizzling, gently place balls in oil.  Let cook until brown on one side then turn.  Cook until brown on both sides.  The inside won't be cooked but will cook in the sauce.  Put meatballs into pot of sauce, stir gently and let simmer, stirring often, for about 3 - 4 hours.

Spaghetti Squash:
Cut Squash in half and gut seeds (if squash is too hard, cut a hole in the top so it doesn't explode and place in microwave 3 to 5 minutes to soften)
Place in microwave safe dish upside down - cook on high 10 minutes.  Check to see if inside is soft (can you poke a fork through it)  Continue cooking at 5 minute intervals until soft
Remove inside of squash with a fork (using the prongs so you don't get chucks) scrape the squash and place into a bowl.
Pour sauce with meatballs over squash, stir gently

Enjoy!

Check out some of my other favorite dishes below:

4 comments:

  1. I love spaghetti squash. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. our Co Host from nosh My Way. Come back on Sunday and vote for your favorite.
    Oh and don't forget to include a link within your post back to foodie friends friday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did ad the link. I will come back Sunday to vote. Thank you for the link, it's so interesting. I'm having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful and delicious. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly
    Clever Chicks Blog Hop:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/clever-chicks-blog-hop-16-hogwash-soaps.html

    I hope you can make it!
    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics